FindItMore | Choosing a career is the most important and difficult task for a person and it needs careful consideration so that you don’t regret your decision. There many things that you should consider before going to a particular stream or profession. From the many prospects, Law is also a good and promising field for students worldwide. It is the only field that isn’t affected by the fluctuations in Economy. Thus, if you are bent on going for a career in law, then many Universities and Colleges in the US provide specialized courses and degrees to ensure bright a career.
To ensure a good and promising future, it is very necessary to ensure that the career you opt for what is appealing to you. Carefully learn and research about the profession before choosing it. Many times it has occurred that people that people just opted for a career on a whim and later regretted their decision. It is really important to understand one’s interest so that you could have a satisfying profession.
Factors to consider before applying to a Law School-
- Understand lawyer’s work– Before you choose to go for a profession as a lawyer, it would be better to properly understand the work of real lawyers. Lawyers unlike in movies, spend their time mostly reading, researching and writing legal documents. You should understand the requirements and commitments for your job. This will help you get a better insight of this profession and know if your interests match with it.
- Earnings -Unlike popular belief that every lawyer earns a lot of money, some lawyers don’t have the fortune. So if you only want to become a lawyer so that you can earn a lot of money, reconsider before it’s too late.
- Cost of admissions in law schools- It is very costly to get into a law school. Generally, law students have to pay more in form of tuition and fees than other students. Though loan facilities are available, at the end you will have to pay a huge amount. Only financially stable people can get admission in a well-reputed law school and not end up being in debt.
After considering all these factors if you still think that law is the profession for you, then apply to a law school. You should have an undergraduate degree in any field from an accredited college or university.
Steps to apply to a Law School in the US
- Create your LSAC.org account- LSAC is the administering organization of the Law School Admission Test or LSAT. You will have to register to the LSAC.org to start the law school admission process. It will help you keep track of your application status.
- Prepare for the LSAT test- After the registration process; you will have to take the LSAT test. Devote a significant time for preparation so that you can get the best possible score on the test. A Good score will allow you to attend a good and reputed law school.
- Submit all your academic transcripts to LSAC- the Credential Assembly Service of LSAC will collect all the academic transcripts from you and forward them to the law schools that you chose in the application form.
- Get your letter of recommendations- After registering to LSAC’s Credential Assembly Service you should start collecting letter of recommendations from professors and supervisors who can describe your academic, personal and professional achievements.
- Submit your resume and personal statement- Submit a resume marking you latest degrees, academic awards and work experience. Your personal statement should contain your views on any particular topic.
Fill as many law schools in your application form as you can to maximize your chances of getting admission in a Law school.